The first roll with the Shen Hao 6x17 Panoramic back

I just bought a Chinese made Shen Hao 6x17 panoramic back for my 4x5, basically because I have wanted to do panoramas for a long time, and could neither afford a Hasselblad xpan nor a Technorama.

Even if I could splash out on a second hand xpan, it's the Linhof I'd really want, and my wife already gives me grief for all the money I spend on equipment so there's no way I could justify this extravagance, especially as it's the digital camera which bring in most of the $$$ and those aren't cheap either.

Earlier this year I saw the work of Kim Young Gap and knew I absolutely had to jump on this panorama photography stuff somehow. In the house/museum which houses his work they have his studio preserved and my wife rolled her eyes as I said "Look at those beautiful cameras just sitting there not being used!".

So, when I found this Shen Hao back which works with the 4x5 and lenses I already own - and hopefully will give me similar results as the Linhof for a fraction of the price, I had to get one. I did. And it's great. A little hard to compose with, while the ground glass is pretty bright there's some massive light fall of round the edges but I'm sure I'll get used to that. Other than that it's a lot of fun, which is always important.

I took it out for a walk round my area to test it out. Here are some scans, the results from the first roll of film I ran through it. This is all of them. It takes 4 frames on a roll of 120 film. I'm loving that. I'm looking forward to doing some proper work with it...







No comments: